Services provided for High Schools with pupils requiring reading support
Harrow School Library Service supports schools in obtaining and maintaining excellent school library and classroom resources to support the requirements of the curriculum and to promote reading for pleasure. The Service offers an in-depth knowledge of children’s literature and curriculum support, with a wide range of high quality, attractive and up-to-date fiction, poetry and information books to enable you to build a reading culture in your school and promote enthusiastic independent learning.
The School Library Service manager is a chartered librarian and specialist in children's literature. Our professional library service includes project loans, a discounted book purchase scheme and professional advice on all aspects of library management, resources and reading promotion. The charge is fully inclusive covering all aspects of the service.
Nothing is more important in education than ensuring that every child can read well. Pupils who can read are overwhelmingly more likely to succeed at school, achieve good qualifications, and subsequently enjoy a fulfilling and rewarding career.
Reading: The Next Steps. Department for Education report, March 2015
Description of Service
This is a service devised to support High School libraries in providing resources for pupils who need extra support in reading and is designed to support:
- Children in Year 7 and above with a low reading age who require a range of books with a high level of interest but low reading difficulty
- Children with reading disorders such as dyslexia
- Children in Year 7 and 8 who are ‘Reluctant readers’
- Project Loan Service
Teachers may request one collection of books to meet the particular needs of the children in their class each term from a collection of over 50,000 titles. Each collection will consist of approximately 30 attractive and up-to-date picture books, board books, interactive books and non-fiction, worth up to £400. Cost of delivery and collection is included.
- Advisory Service by professionally qualified Librarian on all aspects of the design, organisation and administration of library collections and the creative use of books both in the library and the classroom, including author/illustrator events.
- Support and practical assistance from the HSLS team with tasks such as classifying books, labelling, repair or updating records on library management systems.
- Discounted Purchase Scheme and Personal Shopper Service.
Teachers/librarians can make use of our discounted purchase scheme using their own budgets. This scheme enables schools to make limited budgets stretch further. All books are supplied ready for the shelf with labels, jackets or sleeves to extend their durability. We offer a personal shopper service and can order books on your behalf. We have access to specialist suppliers and bibliographic databases.
- Exhibition Collection of over 11,000 recommended and in print children’s books for teachers to inspect prior to purchase. Advice from School Library Service staff during your visit and assistance with ordering books.
- CPD including Library Co-ordinators’ meetings and training courses.
- Subscription to Pen&Inc magazine containing latest information on diverse and inclusive children’s books.
- Newsletter and discounts on publications.
Helpdesk: Available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, during term-time and school holidays. An email facility is available outside these hours.
Professional staff have qualifications recognised by the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals and are in membership of relevant professional organisations.
Books ordered through the purchasing service are normally delivered within three weeks outside school holidays and we can organise urgent orders for you.
Project loans will be delivered to your school as soon as possible following receipt of the request.
Schools are responsible for the care of books on loan to them and for their return when requested by the School Library Service.
The contract will run for one year from 1st April 2024 to 31st March 2025.
Further details and charges
For further details, information about charges and to purchase this package please visit Harrow's Support Services for Education portal.
Teachers/librarians may request one project collection at a time, and unlimited requests during the contract period.
School Library Service
School Library Service Manager
1 Forward Drive
Harrow HA3 8NT
020 3714 7739
Harrow School Library Service - supporting school libraries and staff through project loans, discounted purchase scheme and advisory services